Is Your Company Looking to Create a Cloud Migration Roadmap?
Tips and tricks for creating a fool-proof ‘roadmap’ for migrating to the Cloud
The Cloud is quickly becoming the dominant computing platform for business professionals in industries of all kinds. Migrating computing resources to the Cloud can offer huge productive power and a whole new organizational approach for companies of every shape and size.
However, Cloud migration can be intimidating – even for the most seasoned of business professionals. That’s why creating a roadmap for Cloud migration is a huge asset for busy and overwhelmed professionals. Of course, there are many ‘cookie-cutter’ Cloud migration solutions on the market that claim to offer a seamless and all-encompassing migration plan. But, when it comes to Cloud computing, enterprises need a strategic and customized roadmap.
So, we recommend that professionals take a more focused and careful approach when it comes to Cloud migration. We’ve created a collection of tips and tricks that will help you and your team better prepare for the Cloud transition and adapt once you’ve made the move. Read on to learn how your company can create a fool-proof roadmap to the Cloud.
Application Decisions: What Parts of Your System Infrastructure Can Be Virtualized?
The first step in creating a dynamic roadmap for Cloud migration is determining which parts of your IT infrastructure you’re willing and able to virtualize. This involves taking stock of all the critical applications you rely on and determining the easiest way to migrate each unit.
Some applications are easier to migrate than others. Depending on what you use each application for, how often you use it, and the virtualization options available, your Cloud roadmap should prioritize the migration of your most important business applications.
Here are some critical questions to consider when mapping out the migration of your business applications:
- What kind of data are you storing and transmitting on each application?
- How often do you use each application? Are some applications used far more than others?
- Which of your business applications have Cloud versions available?
- Do you want to institute a Hybrid or fully-migrated Cloud platform? Can all your applications be migrated to the Cloud or do some need to remain on physical servers?
Security Protocols: Proactive Considerations for Staying Secure in the Cloud
Security concerns are perhaps the biggest and most common reason that professionals are wary about Cloud migration. That’s why making proactive security considerations as part of your migration roadmap is absolutely critical. This will help provide peace of mind and will ensure that you’ve got all your IT security bases covered.
When it comes to security in the Cloud, there are many misconceptions. Often, professionals are led to believe that Cloud security is weak and that business data isn’t safe in the Cloud. However – these are myths at best. So, as long as you go into your Cloud migration thoughtfully and carefully, you can create an IT security plan that keeps your data and network on lockdown.
Check out these top proactive security considerations you should be making when creating your Cloud migration roadmap:
- What kind of data do you need to secure? Is it sensitive data like personal details or financial information?
- Who needs to be able to access data? Who needs to be prevented from accessing data? How can you best set and monitor access control permissions?
- Are there regulatory standards that you need to consider in terms of securing data? Is your organization regulated by HIPAA, GDPR, PCI or other compliance bodies?
- Is there a designated employee tasked with cybersecurity responsibilities? If not, should you assign one once you’ve migrated to the Cloud?
Prioritizing Productivity: Strategies for Making Your Cloud Work for You
Finally, it’s critical to make proactive considerations regarding the productive and streamlining power offered by Cloud solutions. After all, optimizing operations and simplifying daily tasks is the driving force behind Cloud migration. Therefore, you and your team should be making concrete plans for how your Cloud migration will prioritize productive power.
No matter the size of your business or the industry you’re in, migration to the Cloud should make the lives of your team easier and should bring streamlining benefits to both your clients and your bottom line. So, when creating your Cloud migration roadmap, it’s necessary to consider the areas of your business that could use a productivity makeover.
Here are some top considerations to make when it comes to prioritizing productive power in your Cloud migration roadmap:
- What are your data storage requirements? How much data do you need to store and do you need separate storage silos for different data types?
- What kind of communication tools do you require? What is the best way for your team members and clients to connect virtually?
- What kind of data processing and organization tools do you require? What business tasks are most common and important? How can they be streamlined in the Cloud?
- Have you considered remote work and communication tools for on-the-go and anytime business? How can Cloud migration make for better remote work opportunities?
Measuring Progress & Success: Marking Milestones in Your Migration Journey
It’s also very important to create a Cloud migration roadmap that will help you set goals, measure progress, and recognize milestones. By creating a framework that will help you track your migration process and check priorities off your list, you’ll be going a long way toward a smooth and strategic transition.
However, knowing how to organize your migration priorities can be a challenge. That’s why it can be a great idea to connect with a professional IT consultant for guidance and support. Experienced IT professionals can help your company set realistic and strategic goals to help you realize migration milestones efficiently and effectively.
A strategic IT consultant can help you create a fool-proof migration roadmap by:
- Conducting a comprehensive Cloud audit of your company’s IT infrastructure
- Balancing security concerns with productivity improvements
- Helping you set realistic priorities and strategic goals for your transition
- Creating a detailed framework for tracking progress and celebrating milestones
- Mitigating or minimizing business disruption during the transition
Simply put, partnering with a professional IT consultant can make all the difference in your company’s Cloud migration planning. Professional IT consultants can provide far more customization and attention to detail than cookie-cutter solutions that promise a quick-fix migration solution.
If your company is looking to map out a strategic Cloud migration, best practice is to connect with a professional IT consultant with Cloud experience. Reach out for some one-on-one consultation and explain that you’re hoping to develop an iron-clad strategy for seamless Cloud migration. By connecting with a strategic and experienced professional, you’ll take the stress out of Cloud migration and you’ll be on the path to creating a rock-solid roadmap for executing and monitoring the transition.
Did you find this article informative? As always, we’re happy to help! If you liked this, check out these other articles we think you’ll love: